How Many Gifts Should a Kid Get for Christmas?

• Kids love receiving gifts, and they experience that joy, especially in the Christmas season. They often get lots of presents and Christmas gains more value for children when they get gifts. But while giving them gifts, it’s also important not to spoil or overwhelm them. But how?

I separated kids by age and thought about what gifts and how many could be bought for them. Here is my list:

• Toddlers (2-3 years old): Toddlers have short attention spans and love interactive and eye-catching toys. If the gift is big and “wow” enough, you can buy 1 toy, but if the gifts are small, then 3-5 gifts can be good. Plastic dolls, toy cars, wooden puzzles, wooden toys, and arts & crafts supplies can be great options for them. 

• Preschoolers (4-5 years old): Preschoolers have longer attention spans and they love educational toys, such as picture books, puzzles, and basic board games. 3-5 gifts combining learning and fun can be ideal. 

• Early Elementary (6-8 years old): For this group of kids, 4-5 gifts can be better, as quantity is more important than quality for them. Presents like building sets, games, arts & crafts, sports equipment, books, personalized wooden name signs, and accessories, can be good options. 

• Tweens (9-12 years old): Tweens stand between the child and teenager. They may have changing interests, so 4-6 thoughtfully selected gifts can meet their changing interests. Electronics like gaming systems, books, trendy accessories/jewelry such as name necklaces, beginner makeup, gift cards, and can be great options for them. 

• Teenagers (13-17 years old): Teenagers can be aware of the quality of a present rather than the quantity. So I think they can be happy with 1 or 2 meaningful gifts. These gifts can be tech items, gift cards, video games, smart watches, clothes, tickets to events, custom apparel, and other personalized/customized gifts reflecting their personalities and interests. 

Lastly, don't forget to wrap and embellish the gift with bright colors or designs on the gift wrapping. This will make the gift more appreciated, especially as children tend to judge something at first glance.